Often the Police are called to enforce court orders dealing with parent's rights of access to their children.

Even though there may be an order in place allowing for visitation, the law does not give Police the power to intervene and to enforce the Order. Refusal to grant access to children must be referred back to the court that issued the Order. The court may then direct a Police Service to find and deliver a child to the person named in the Order.

Unless an Order is obtained containing that specific direction, the Police are only able to respond to incidents where access is denied and to keep the peace.